Choosing a Lawyer
One of the most important decisions to be made when going through a divorce is the choice of a lawyer. The other important decision is the process.
When you are choosing a lawyer, there are some important things to consider.
- Are you comfortable with your lawyer?
- Does he or she listen to you and understand you?
- Has your lawyer explained the various divorce processes available such as:
- The Kitchen Table divorce between you and your spouse
- Collaborative practice
- Litigation or negotiations between lawyers that may include going to court if the lawyer negotiations do not resolve the issues
- Have the potential costs of each of these options been explained to you?
- Have the basic principles of family law been explained as they relate to the particular facts of your situation?
- Has the lawyer asked about your goals and what is most important to you in this matter?